The STAR core curriculum is customized by an instructor to meet the needs of specific audiences. Because the course is based on the Starfish risk management model, the five components stay the same, but information is tailored to the environment and activity. Here are examples:
- STAR for parents and families focuses on home pool safety and the importance of surveillance and layers of protection.
- STAR for caregivers focuses on strategies for minimizing risk when supervising groups of swimmers on outings to the pool. It’s ideal for day care providers, youth leaders, camp counselors, teachers, and party hosts.
- STAR for attendants focuses on secondary surveillance strategies, emergency response, facility safety, and (when appropriate) slide dispatch. It’s ideal for resort and hotel staff, pool and slide attendants, and health club personnel.
- STAR for aquatic fitness professionals focuses on minimizing risk and responding when an emergency happens during a water fitness or therapy program.
- STAR for coaches and instructors focuses on minimizing risk and responding during swim team practices or swimming instruction classes.
- STAR for public safety officers (fire, police, rescue personnel) focuses on minimizing risk during a first-responder situation that involves an aquatic incident.
The courses can be conducted by our instructors at your facility, or you can become a training center and develop in-house instructors to train your staff.
Preview Course Outline
About Becoming a STAR Provider
If you would like to become an authorized provider or instructor and teach the AquaTech program in your area, click here to request more information.
If you would like to have an SAI instructor conduct a STAR course for your group, click here to request more information.
Return to the STAR homepage